Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The mighty squid, the world's favorite aphrodesiac

This is what I call "spitting rain". From inside it doesn't really look like its raining, just kind of misting, so you forgo the 'brella. But then when you get out into that spit, you realize you are soaking wet in about 10 minutes. That's what happened to me on my way to yoga today. When I got there I was drenched. Then I dried off and replaced the rain with sweat, only to get soaked again on the way home. This is how people get sick. Anyway, my days off are limited, so I am utilizing this rainy one to the fullest. I just downloaded the new Radiohead album, used my new juicer for the first time (4 little beets, 2 stalks of celery, 4 carrots, one nubbin of ginger and 12 clementines) and made a delightful calamari salad for lunch. As for the juicer, I should have captured the mess with my camera. Since I didn't, allow me to elaborate: in order to get the one cupful of delicious, blood red, potent juice, I got about 4 cups of pulpy, rainbow mash that will make a great contribution to my compost, but for some reason feels a little wasteful. Also, a lot of prep went into that magical cup. It takes a minute (or 15) to peel all those veggies and clementines. So, I am not abandoning my juicer after only one try, but I am also not abandoning Taqueria El Castillito across from Safeway on Church that for only $3.04 makes you a small (actually pretty big) juice with the same ingredients in about 3 minutes.

As for the calamari salad:

1 lb squid, cleaned, bodies and tentacles separated
3 c of arugula
1/2 c sliced almonds
1tbsp plum sauce
Juice of 2 lemons
1/2 english cucumber sliced (i just hate regular cukes)
1/3 c extra-virgin olive oil

Saute the squid with the plum sauce for about 3 minutes.

Cut squid body into 1/2 inch rings, and cut tentacles in half if too big to eat. Toss remaining ingredients gently with olive oil, salt and pepper, and lemon juice. Should serve about four small dinner salads or two larger lunch ones.

No comments: