Thursday, March 17, 2011

Irish Soda Bread


This was the first thing I made for myself when I moved into the dorms in college. I was probably trying to win friends, and if I remember correctly, it worked! My mom has made this recipe every St. Patty's Day since I can remember. She did not however make Corned Beef and Cabbage because my grandpa used to make it all the time and she hated it. I don't understand how anyone could hate corned beef; it's so salty and fatty. I'm not huge on cabbage anymore since I started this blood type diet, but for one night I'm going to go crazy. I bought three huge slabs of corned beef, two heads of cabbage, a huge bag of both red potatoes and carrots. This is going to be good. Bring on the Jaime!

Irish Soda Bread

yields one big loaf

3 cups flour
2/3 c sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp melted shortening (I used butter)
1 3/4 cup buttermilk (I used lowfat)
2 eggs beaten
1 cup currants (or raisins)

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Sift the first five ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Beat eggs in a small bowl. Add melted shortening or butter to eggs and mix. Add in buttermilk to egg mixture and mix thoroughly. Attach paddle attachment to mixer. Slowly add egg mixture to the dry ingredients while mixer is on low. Add currants and mix until everything is evenly combined. Pour mixture into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 F for about an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!

No comments: