Thursday, March 10, 2011

Soup's On!


I love this time of year when I don’t have to feel weird about eating soup all the time. I’m constantly cold in our drafty old house, and even when I’m bundled up in my new, hideous, fleece socks from dad and sexy UC Davis sweatsuit, all I can think about is warm, hearty soup. Last week, for example, I made asparagus soup one night, went out for ramen at Suzu in Japantown the next night (get the spicy miso ramen), and when I was sick again on Sunday I decided to brave the rain for Little Chihuahua’s Chicken Tortilla Soup. And so this morning, another rainy one, I perused the aisles of the new Whole Foods that just opened up on Haight, and decided on a beautiful head of cauliflower which turned into quite a lovely and velvety soup today. Even though I am usually the one who will throw an entire stick of butter into a soup, I am trying to do things a little healthier these days, and so I am cutting back and only using olive oil to sauté the onions and shallot and garlic in. Trust me, it’s still really tasty. But feel free to use as much butter as your heart desires.

Silky Cauliflower Soup

1 stick of butter (or 3 tbsp olive oil)

1 onion, chopped

1 shallot, chopped

2 cloves garlic, sliced

4 sprigs thyme

1 bay leaf

1 head cauliflower, cut into medium-sized florets

Water

Salt

1 lemon, cut into fourths

In a soup pot melt the butter or heat up the olive oil. Add the onion, shallot, and garlic. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the cauliflower, thyme and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 more minutes. Add enough water to cover the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Simmer over moderately low heat until the cauliflower is softened, about 25 minutes. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf.

Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until very smooth. Squeeze a fourth of a lemon into each bowl . Enjoy!

No comments: