Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Boogers on a Biscuit



When I wasn't plying elderly people with chardonnay, I spent today brainstorming new menu ideas with Chef. We had been going back in forth for the last couple of months about burrata; he doesn't think our clientele would go for it, I think it's the best thing ever. Long story short, he finally listened and we received our first shipment of burrata today. It's going to go on our new and improved bruchetta, which, up until now has consisted of goat cheese with roasted peppers and basil oil. Sorry but I can't stand roasted peppers. Honestly burrata would taste good with boogers sprinkled on top, but I suggested an english pea puree topped with burrata and drizzled with a meyer lemon infused olive oil. Either that or a bed of sauteed kale topped with burrata and finished with a balsalmic reduction. Mmmm...or you could just throw a big hunk of it on a plate with some arugula, olive oil and prosciutto.

I also made a juice today that didn't involve beets for once. Instead I used one kiwi, one grapefruit, one orange, six clementines and four strawberries. Essentially all of the citrus-y flavors I love but never get to eat due to my attempts at 'eating right for my blood type'. According to this doctor, each blood type has a distinct diet that, when followed, can make you run optimally. I heard about it years ago when I was cooking at a health-conscious restaurant in Davis, Ca. Back then, the nutritionist/owner told me that seeing as my blood type was O Positive, I really should not be a vegetarian. Sure, I was sick ALL of the time, but I also lived in a loft in a garage during the coldest time of the year. I didn't even consider meat food and so ignored her and continued to dream about burgers for another four years. Turns out, she was right all along. When I stopped being veg, I lost weight. I had more energy. I didn't get sick anymore. So I thought recently that maybe this whole blood type thing was right on. Even though I felt healthier and more energetic, I always had stomach aches, always felt bloated and felt that my metabolism seemed to be slower than it should be. My diet consisted mainly of Brussels sprouts, cabbage salads, yogurt, berries and oranges, coffee and beer. Of course there were other things thrown in there, like bacon, but when I read the food list of what O Positive's were supposed to avoid, guess what, ALL of those items were on the list. Turns out O Pos Peeps have the primal, predatory, ancestral blood type which means we need a lot of meat, exercise, saltwater fish, and dark leafy greens. Also, we have more stomach acid than other blood types, so we need to avoid acidic foods like tomatoes, oranges, berries, and cabbage and caffeine. Also we tend to have trouble digesting wheat and dairy. I've been following this diet somewhat closely of the last year now, and I must say I've never felt healthier. Once in a while, I just need some grapefruit juice, though, ya know?

1 comment:

Eileen Kennedy Eastburn said...

I live for burrata! Pairing it with english pea puree and Meyer lemon sounds fantastic. Make it for me and I'll bring the wine ;)