Friday, March 18, 2011

Excessive Meat


Last year when I made corned beef and cabbage it was gone immediately and I had no leftovers with which to make hash, sandos, ect... So this year I thought that I'd better make extra, plus I guess I assumed that everyone would eat more than they actually did. Irish car bombs are pretty filling, after all. Plus, we started out with an assortment of cheeses and salami, including Sharp Irish Cheddar, Toma Trifulera (a soft, creamy cheese with a hint of truffles), and an awesome raw cow's milk cheese from Virginia called Appalachian that had a mild, buttery flavor with a hint of mushroom. So after a healthy amount of booze and cheese, I brought out about 10 lbs of corned beef, along with 3 loaves of Irish Soda Bread, and a massive amount of carrots, red potatoes, and cabbage. Even the dogs had their fill, and I am still left with a crap-load of food today. I made a really tasty hash for breakfast. I am planning on making something corned beef inspired for dinner too, like maybe split pea soup with corned beef instead of ham. We'll see. Any ideas?

Corned Beef Hash

yields breakfast for two

4 red potato halves
1/2 cup cooked carrots
2 slabs cooked corned beef, chopped
1 tsp olive oil

In a bowl, mash up the potatoes, carrots well. Mix in the corned beef. On a cutting board, flatten half the mixture into a patty about 1/2 inch thick and about 6 inches in diameter. Heat the olive oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Using a spatula, carefully transfer the patty into the pan and cover. Cook over medium for about 7 minutes per side, or until brown and crispy. Do the same with the remaining mixture. Serve alone or with poached eggs. Enjoy!

No comments: